Are you having angina treatment in Manchester or elsewhere in the UK? If you are, you’ll know how important it is to manage your angina and avoid the risk of heart attack and having a stroke.
If you manage your angina with minor dietary and lifestyle changes, you can live your everyday life with angina.
Here are some steps to take to have a better diet and lifestyle:
A healthy diet and attitude to food will help you look after your heart. Here are a few examples:
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, ideally 5-a-day
- Add whole grains to your diet, for example, brown rice, bulgar wheat and whole grain bread.
- Eat lean protein foods such as grilled skinless chicken, steak, fish and beans
- Swap high-fat dairy products like cheese and cream with low-fat yoghurt and semi-skimmed milk
- Use less salt and avoid foods that have high amounts of salt (sodium) content
- If you eat ready meals, avoid anything with saturated fats and hydrogenated fats.
Give up cigarettes
Every year around 20,000 smokers in the UK die from heart and circulatory diseases. If you’re a smoker, to improve your health try to cut down or give up smoking entirely. You can ask your heart consultant for information on accessing self-help materials and affordable treatments.
Cut down on alcohol
Most of us enjoy a glass of wine or two at the end of a long day. It’s a quick way to unwind and relax. If you usually drink 14 units or more a week (6 pints of beer or 10 small glasses of wine), think about reducing that amount by:
- Cutting back a little each day
- Drinking from a smaller glass
- Having several days each week when you don’t drink
- Alternate between alcohol and water, so you stay hydrated
Having angina doesn’t mean you can’t exercise. You must be still active if you have angina. If you’re having angina treatment in Manchester, speak to your consultant about what kind of exercises are safe for you to do.
Try to gradually build up your exercise levels, and remember to rest in between. If you use tablets or a GTN spray, have them with you and if needed, you can use them before you start.
If you are worried about angina and your diet and lifestyle, Get in touch today for an in-person or phone appointment. Venturi Cardiology is a well-regarded heart diagnostics clinic in the northwest of England, close to Liverpool and Manchester with great access to tarin and motorway routes.